A Wild night in Glasgow

I've written before about how "pure dead brilliant" my home town of Glasgow is. There is now another reason for that, in the shape of the brand new club Wild Cabaret.







I was lucky enough to be invited along to the pre-opening night of the new Merchant city venue, which will officially open this Saturday, the 22nd of February. I'll admit I was a little apprehensive as to what exactly an evening in a place called the Wild Cabaret would involve. However, I was pleasantly surprised, my husband and I had the best night out we've had in a while.

Arriving at the club, we were welcomed by two very glamorous show girls adorned with feathers and sequins, and then shown through to the Wicked Lounge. The Lounge is very classy, the colour scheme is black and gold, and you could happily sit and chat with friends for a good few hours. We were entertained by violinists playing modern music such as "Get Lucky" by Daft Punk/Pharell Williams and "When I Ruled the World" by Coldplay. I enjoyed trying to figure out the music they were playing.  The showgirls gracefully danced alongside the musicians, and it started to feel as though we were no longer in cold wintery Glasgow, but had somehow been transported to Vegas.


We were served champagne and canapes, and the highly entertaining Ryan Davidson, AKA The Mentalist, performed card tricks at the tables before we watched him in the cabaret show later on. Ryan is clearly a very skilled magician, as normally my husband delights in telling me how tricks are done, but he didn't have a clue on this occasion. In fact, he claims he'd had too much to drink...two glasses of champagne, somehow I don't believe him.



After enjoying our time in the Lounge, we were called through to the large dining area where we watched the Cabaret as we ate. The service was a bit slow, as to be expected with a new restaurant, but the staff were all excellent, and I'm sure any teething problems will be resolved very quickly. I chose the smoked mackerel to start, steak with pepper sauce, followed by cranachan with a berry sauce. The food was very good, especially accompanied by the large variety of cocktails on offer from the skilled bartenders. I ventured to try a French Martini, a change from my usual Cosmopolitan, and I'd recommend it.







The cabaret was very entertaining, a good mixture of different acts. The hostess Frances Thorburn, had a terrific voice, and her enthusiasm in introducing the other acts was infectious. There were comedy sketches and comedian Janey Godley, Ryan the magician, various dance acts, and the finale was the highly talented Soul Nation Choir, who got people up on their feet dancing at the end of a great night.



The entertainment was excellent, but for me, there were two things that really stuck out. Firstly, having reminisced over my own dancing days (lessons) watching the girls doing the can-can, it was a rare treat to then see men in kilts also perform the famous French dance. I found it hilarious, and their frilly knickers really added to the performance! Trust me, it's a must-see. Secondly, having enjoyed Ryan's (The Mentalist) act, it was a pure delight to watch one of his tricks unfold to become an extremely romantic proposal from one of his "victims" onstage, to his girlfriend in the audience. Thankfully she said yes, and it was a privilege to have been witness to such an important part in the young couple's life.

In summary, if you're looking for a classy night out in Glasgow, somewhere you can get glammed up and enjoy something a bit different, Wild Cabaret is the place to go. I will certainly be back, and look forward to seeing what other talented acts will be added. Take a look at the YouTube video to give you a taste of what it's like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gWqTam2rIM




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking the ice

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire? Take care!

Do clothes have a "wear by" date?