Do clothes have a "wear by" date?

I heard a discussion on an American radio station this summer regarding age appropriate fashion for women. I was interested in this, as a thirty-something year old who sometimes struggles with her wardrobe choices. I found an article online based on a similar survey, possibly the same one. The link can be found here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2355711/Women-stop-wearing-clothes-stomach-age-34-according-survey-women.html

The crop tops were abandoned a while ago, and I admit my hem lines have come down, the necklines have gone up. However, I still consider myself to be a young woman, and so surely I should have a modern, young approach to fashion? Having heard on the radio, however, that short skirts should be ditched at 35, bikinis at 40, and long hair at 42, I began to wonder if my theory was right...
I Googled "How to dress in your 30's", some suggestions were OK, but others had me wondering if I'd typed a 5 instead of a 3. I'm not saying every day should be stilettos and short skirts; as a mum to young children I'm much more likely to be found in my jeans, top, flats uniform. However, I don't like the idea that I am fast approaching the age (according to the survey), where wearing these would be considered too young for me. I was reassured that I don't necessarily have to switch to granny shops in the near future by another online article. "The rules for looking 'appropriate' are not what they used to be", is something I'd agree with. I believe that if you feel confident and the clothes look good on you, you should not feel obliged to donate them to charity when you reach a certain age. This more open-minded article can be found here:

http://www.harpersbazaar.com/fashion/fashion-articles/how-to-dress-your-age-0513

I've decided not to be guided too much by "wear by" dates, and in fact, as a kind of rebellion to what I'd heard on the radio, bought myself a new bikini...not itsy bitsy, not teeny weeny, but a bikini nonetheless. I'm hoping to get a few more years out of it before I hang it up for good.

I will continue to follow fashion, some I will invest in, others I will graciously leave to younger women. The recent fashion of Minnie Mouse ears as worn by Cara Delevingne featured in Grazia magazine, was quite something! If only I'd known, I could have bought some at Disneyland and been the coolest mum at school...or maybe not.



Comments

  1. It's hard, isn't it! I've got long hair, almost waist length, and at 38 I'm now thinking "Am I too old for this much hair? Is this the time for the shorter permed look?" But then I'd look like my nanna, and I'm not *that* old!

    I found you through #Mondayblogs, and I'm glad I did! @Madyline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, glad I'm not the only one who finds dressing/hair tricky in their thirties! Don't get a perm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you think.

    "I believe that if you feel confident and the clothes look good on you, you should not feel obliged to donate them to charity when you reach a certain age."

    And I completely agree with this.

    There's a big difference, IMO, between clinging to styles because you think they make you look young(er) and finding/sticking with something that genuinely flatters your shape (no matter what that shape may be).

    I really admire people who can put together a fashionable, attractive outfit. The right fit and cut can make people from any age or size look great. This isn't one of my strengths yet...but I'm working on it. :)



    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire? Take care!

Breaking the ice